March 20th marks the first official day of spring, and though it may have felt warm for a few weeks we’re betting you haven’t rushed to do your spring cleaning. With the new season officially beginning, now is the perfect opportunity to do a deep-scrub of your home and clean each room from top to bottom.
Don’t waste time and energy cleaning without a game plan. We’ve collected our favorite practical cleaning tips to help you get every inch of your home looking, feeling, and smelling fresh just using basic household items and cleaners you already own. Here are some useful cleaning hacks for your spring cleaning:
- Get your pots and pans back to their store-bought spotless shine: first, pour baking soda over the bottom of the pan. Then, mix in a fair amount of vinegar. We recommend using gloves to be on the safe side. Let the pot or pan soak for about 15 minutes, then wash with warm water and soap. Voila!
- Remove soap scum: if you have soap scum buildup, sprinkle a thin layer of baking soda over the entire surface of your tub or shower and let it sit for 10 minutes. This will loosen the soap scum and make it easier to remove with a damp sponge.
- Prevent soap scum: sing shower gels instead of soap will prevent soap scum from accumulating in the first place.
- Use heat to make your glassware gleam: fill any stained glass pan with water and place it inside a hot oven. Wait about 10 minutes. Then, remove the pan from the oven and pour the hot water out with care, so you don’t burn yourself. Rinse the pan with soap and warm water. The stains will come off easily!
- Clean your microwave and leave it fresh as lemons: fill a medium-sized bowl with half water and half lemon juice. Microwave the bowl for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the strength of your microwave. Remove the bowl, and wipe away any stains that remain on the walls. Your microwave will look and smell terrific!
- Remove lipstick stains from clothes or towels: spray the stained area with a generous amount of hairspray, and let it soak for 10 minutes. Dab the stained area with a damp washcloth until the stain is faded. Immediately wash the shirt in a wash cycle and the stain will be completely gone!
There’s no need to spend extra money buying specialty cleaning supplies that contain harmful chemicals. Use cleaners and products already available in your home with filtered water to make your home squeaky clean in just a few hours.