Pelican Water Systems - Blog Home

Lead in Your Drinking Water

Lead in Your Drinking WaterLead is a heavy metal that is hazardous to health if breathed or swallowed. Its use in gasoline, paints, and plumbing compounds has been sharply restricted or eliminated by federal laws and regulations. The greatest exposure to lead is swallowing or breathing in lead paint chips and dust.

But lead in drinking water can also cause a variety of adverse health effects. In babies and children, exposure to lead in drinking water above the action level (.015) can result in delays in physical and mental development, along with slight deficits in attention span and learning abilities. In adults, it can cause increases in blood pressure. Adults who drink this water over many years could develop kidney problems or high blood pressure.

Lead is rarely found in source water, but enters tap water through corrosion of plumbing materials. Homes built before 1986 are more likely to have lead pipes, fixtures and solder. However, new homes are also at risk: even legally “lead-free” plumbing may contain up to 8 percent lead. The most common problem is with brass or chrome-plated brass faucets and fixtures which can leach significant amounts of lead into the water, especially hot water.

If you live in a house built before 1986 (when the plumbing lead ban took effect), or if your water comes through pipes installed before 1986 from your community’s central treatment plant, you should be especially alert to the possibility of lead in your water.

Compact lead & fluoride whole house water filter systems or even The Pelican Pro 6-Stage reverse osmosis system produces high quality drinking water quickly and easily and is NSF Certified to remove 98.0% of LEAD.

Pelican Combo System Salt-Free Water Softener Whole-House Water Filter